- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 large Onion, small dice
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 cups Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 4-5 large Tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and large diced
- 2 ½ cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- ¼ cup Basil, chiffonade
- ¼-½ cup Cream
- 32 slices Baguette
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 16 slices Cheese of Choice
- to taste Salt & Pepper
1. Heat a soup pot over high heat, add the butter to melt. Add in the onions and garlic, along with a little salt & pepper, and sauté for a few minutes until just starting to brown.
2. Add in all the tomatoes, the stock, and basil into the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, add in the cream, and using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Place back on a low heat to keep warm and adjust the seasoning with salt & pepper.
3. Place the puree back into the saucepan over medium heat to keep warm.
4. Pour the olive oil onto a plate. Dip one side of each slice of bread in it to coat and place onto a sheet tray oiled side down. Place a slice of cheese on half of the slices of bread; season with salt & pepper. Top with the other slices of bread to make sandwiches (the oiled sides should be on the outsides).
5. Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over med-high heat. Cook the sandwiches on both sides until toasty and golden brown. Serve with the soup.
-cook’s knife -immersion blender -wood spoon
-sheet tray -saucepan -sauté pan